Esthetician Talk: Lexli interviews Nicole Nunns

Lexli continues its series of interviews with leaders within the field of esthetics to get their take on industry trends, learn about their favorite treatments, hear their tips for those just beginning their esthetics career, and more. Whether you’re a professional in the field or a consumer looking for information to help your skin look and feel its best, we’re confident that the interviews in this series will hold valuable information for you.

Meet Nicole Nunns.

The owner of Esthetics with Nicole, a home-based skin care clinic on Long Island in New York, Nicole discovered the field of aesthetics while employed as a medical assistant in a wellness center. Through her work with clients, she became so inspired by the field of esthetics that she made the decision to quit a job she loved to pursue a career as a licensed esthetician. Upon graduating from the New York Institute of Beauty, Nicole took a position at the legendary Elizabeth Arden Red Door Spa and eventually returned to her esthetics school - this time in the role of instructor, which she continues to hold today on a per diem basis.

L: You’ve held positions with well-regarded organizations so I’m curious what made you decide to pursue your own business?

NN: When I was in esthetics school I thought a lot about my future and established the goal of eventually owning a home-based business. I was newly married and knew that when we started a family I wanted to have flexible hours while being my own boss.

I gained so much knowledge during the two years that I worked at a high-end day spa, and it’s that knowledge that resulted in me being scouted by the New York Institute of Beauty when they were searching for a new instructor. What I learned from those experiences helped prepare me to run a business. In 2016 I finally took the leap, creating a treatment space in the lower half of my home. When our daughter was born in 2018, I realized that I had fully achieved the goal I set when I was in school. Running my business out of our home allows me to do what I love while raising my daughter.

L: What is an average day like for you?

NN: I care for my toddler morning and afternoon until my husband gets home. We then switch roles and I go into work mode, seeing clients in the evenings and weekends. My husband and I work opposite schedules so we can both take care of our daughter while still having careers.

L: You’ve worked with many different skin types and personalities so I’m curious what you have found is the key to beautiful skin?

NN: We live in a world that tries to define for us what it means to be beautiful. Sadly, this has resulted in so many of us looking in the mirror and being unhappy with what we see reflected back. In reality, we’re all so different and that is the essence of beauty.

Therefore, in my experience, the key to beautiful skin is learning to love the skin you’re in. Our skin type is our skin type. It is predisposed by genetics just like our pore size is. Although we can’t change it, we can help it along. Embrace it and don’t overthink it!

L: What is your favorite treatment?

NN: My personal favorite and the most popular service I offer is Dermaplaning. The results speak for themselves and there are no fancy gadgets involved!

The old adage “men don’t age” may have something to do with the fact that men mechanically exfoliate their faces regularly through the practice of shaving. It may not be exactly the same as Dermaplaning but the general principles are similar. Through Dermaplaning, dead skin cells and hair are lifted and removed from the skin’s surface. By doing this, healthier and brighter skin is revealed.

L: If someone was limited by budget or time, how would you advise them?

NN: If someone was unable to come in for a facial every four to six weeks as recommended, I would suggest two things:

  1. Slowly build up to a solid skin care regimen that is consistently implemented at home. I tell my clients that 80% of what they do at home is going to make the difference in their skin. The other 20% happens through professional intervention with an esthetician. (Not to downplay my career in the least bit!)
  2. To that latter point, I would recommend that they see their esthetician seasonally. Our skin changes with each season so it’s important to give it a tune-up.

L: What is your top piece of advice for new estheticians?

NN: Find your niche and go for it! Figure out what you’re passionate about and let that drive your career. Once you know which direction you want to go, establish goals and set forth. There are many people in this field but don’t let that discourage you. There is a need and demand for all of us and you just need to find your place.

Learn more about Nicole by visiting her website or following her on Facebook or Instagram.

Interested in esthetics? Check out our Lexli Esthetics Scholarship available to esthetic students in the US.